Pages

Monday, April 21, 2008

The Other John Wheeler

When I was younger, i often wondered if Dr. John Wheeler was some how connected with my family. My Dad had many secrets and on of them was his brother John. I never did meet my uncle and I have long felt that my Dad kept his where abouts secret from me. as i discovered a few years ago, Uncle john lived quite near me here in the Tampa area, and my Dad visited him several times. Naturally he did not tell me this oh the two occaisions that he was down here to see me, in 1986 and again in '88. Come to think of it he did mention that John lived in Florida. but I did not know that it was so near.
At any rate, back in the eighties, I did suspect that John might be the famous Physicist. Dad was a Physicist before his career turned towards academic administration. I still know very little about Uncle John. But like the more famous Physicist, he lived in Texas at one point, and had connections to Los Alamos. Since my Father also worked in the field It is not surprising that they attended some of the same conferences. What surprises me even now are fact such as Wheelers vacationing in Maine, and on son who lives in Ardmore, PA, a towm where i once lived with my family.
Here is a link to The Times Obit
John A. Wheeler, a visionary physicist and teacher who helped invent the theory of nuclear fission, gave black holes their name and argued about the nature of reality with Albert Einstein and Niels Bohr, died Sunday morning at his home in Hightstown, N.J. He was 96.
I'll pull up the short Bio of John Brooks Wheeler from My archives and post it here later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome feedback or comments on my blog, but please, no advertisements.