Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Oracle Bones

I received my Advance Readers Copy of Peter Hessler's new book about China.
My first look piqued my curiosity. For one thing, the book is anecdotal. The author drawshis conclusions from his experiences and the experiences of people known to him.
Also, he has used the Clever Device of the artifacts, called oracle bones, as a connective element in his account.
These bones are thought to be the earliest examples of writing in the Chinese language. Since cthe author is both teacher and a writer, dealing here with the past and present, the element of ancient writing suits his theme. additionally one o the people he writes about studied the artifacts.

a

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome feedback or comments on my blog, but please, no advertisements.