Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

“Where I am, death is not; where death is, I am not.”

One year ago, writer, Colin MacKay died by suicide on the 26th of July, 2003 which was his 52nd birthday. He wrote a book about the experience Called "Jacobs Ladder."
I have tried to read this book instilled with it's mixture of self pity, transcendence and denial. It's too easy to accept his reason s for choosing death.. This is the same man who wrote that pretty book "The Song of The Forest." Since'Jacobs Ladder' is real, it seems less pretty. More human. I have read no criticism of this work and I suspect that it may dwell beyond human judgement. The author neatly escapes criticism by assuming that his work is worthless, as in fact he sees his life. If you agree then there is little point in reading. The Authors Irony Bites in the way he suggests that we distance our selves from humanity when we commit violence, or ignore brutality.
I heard a comment once, that an artists role in society was to give hope to humanity. Matisse painted flowers in bright colors during the war. Well the tragedy of flowers is a subject too broad for me. Remember 'Rosebud?'

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome feedback or comments on my blog, but please, no advertisements.