Pages

Thursday, September 04, 2003

apology

"Apology "
I hate rough things: pavement, smashed out windows,
Metal and torn flesh. Unpainted wood has a taste;
You can almost feel your tongue caught on splinters.
My rough words grate against your sweet smile.
Jagged accusations flow with your love.
A chalky edge to my voice that jumps an octave.

I can't imagine breaking this picture.
The half of your face I can still see smiles at me.
If we discarded this when it happened,
Empty and unremembered, that fight would eat us.
But we kept this silver nitrate token.
Some reason must remain after the argument.

Lest I ever forget that you love me, I write
These words of gentle solicitude and calming.
--- Bill Wheeler

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome feedback or comments on my blog, but please, no advertisements.