Pages

Sunday, November 03, 2002

A friend of mine had this experience. In his words:
Spontaneous Anti-Bush(es) Demonstration
6:35 p.m.{11022002}, Tampa, Florida

I-275, the interstate through Tampa, grinds to a halt. Not uncommon, except that after a few minutes it becomes clear that none of the three lanes is moving.

For a few minutes, all engines are running, people are waiting for the traffic to move. I climb out of my minivan, step up on it.

Someone hollers at me, "What do you see?"

"There's nothing moving ahead, not past the point where that entranced ramp joins the highway."

A gal calls to me, "Do you think I can get by driving slowly in the emergency lane?"

I turn off the car and the lights and start walking around. I say Hi to a couple folks with their windows rolled down. A few other people get out of the cars. My wife gets out and starts talking to them. Everyone realizes the stop is due to the Bushes and Swarzkopf traveling across town to a rally.

"Bush is losing votes every minute we wait here," Masha says to a couple men.
They laugh, "Yeah, he's lost my vote."
"While he's finishing dinner, the traffic's backed up to St. Petersburg."
"They don't have to stop a whole highway just to move him around."

After fifteen minutes, many cars are shut off, people are walking around, joking about Bush.
And we're walking around on an interstate that's rather famous for its crashes and wrecks, but it's become a pedestrian way for just a few minutes. I mentioned this to a couple people who shared my amazement: no one had been on this stretch of road under 60 miles per hour and outside of a motor vehicle.

Peter Crockett

They were on their way to a Thomas Mapfumo concert By The way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome feedback or comments on my blog, but please, no advertisements.